BellaOnline
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Celtic music is Folk music? - 10/01/10 03:10 PM
I was so surprised to hear this! LOL!

I am a huge fan of Celtic music.

I never saw the connection until I tried playing Kenny Rogers, "The Gambler" as a Celtic folk song.

My friends who were listening said "you sound just like Dolly Parton." LOL!!
Posted By: Chris Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 10/02/10 01:19 AM
What instrument do you play Deanna?

Traditional Celtic music sure would be folk music. Much of American Roots music is heavily influenced by Celtic music.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 10/02/10 03:53 PM
I sing and play guitar. One day I would like to learn to play Mandolin - and I do have a lap harp I'd like to learn to play. For now, I'm just trying to get the thing tuned up LOL!!

Posted By: Monica2010 Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 12/20/10 03:25 AM
I'm also a huge fun of celtic music!!LOL
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 02/08/11 04:42 PM
I've recently been listening to Maggie Sansone! AWESOME - and I LOVE her music while I'm writing - I don't get distracted. Her music REALLY centers me laugh
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 03/02/11 04:58 AM
Have you never heard the song 'Molly Malone'? Now that is a folk song if ever there was one. I love Celtic/Irish folk music. My father played guitar and banjo and often sang Irish folk songs to us. When I started playing guitar the first songs I learned were Celtic folk songs. I played guitar, banjo, mandolin, dulcimer, and autoharp in a folk group for several years. I really miss those times. Our audiences really got lively every time we played a Celtic song -- Irish Rover, Molly Malone, The Rose of Allendale, Danny Boy, oh, so many -- makes me wish I still had my string instruments.
Originally Posted By: Phyllis-Folk/Myth
Have you never heard the song 'Molly Malone'? Now that is a folk song if ever there was one. I love Celtic/Irish folk music. My father played guitar and banjo and often sang Irish folk songs to us. When I started playing guitar the first songs I learned were Celtic folk songs. I played guitar, banjo, mandolin, dulcimer, and autoharp in a folk group for several years. I really miss those times. Our audiences really got lively every time we played a Celtic song -- Irish Rover, Molly Malone, The Rose of Allendale, Danny Boy, oh, so many -- makes me wish I still had my string instruments.
Has anyone here performed at Renaissance Faires? That can be so fun!
I enjoy the Celtic folk-rock music of Pentangle, Steeleye Span, and Fairport Convention.

Huzzah!
Posted By: JJLin Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 03/29/11 07:20 AM
Celtic music is really the kind of music that I like the most
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 04/27/11 03:13 AM
Rose of Allendale is a beautiful Celtic folk song.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 05/19/16 01:34 PM
I often am surprised by things like that. Not too long ago I learned that ABBA was considered rock, I always thought they were pop or at least disco. I wonder if the people who decided these things are taking something. Anyway I never decided to like or to listen to something based on what type of music it is supposed to be. If when I hear it I like it then I like it just like when I hear it I hate it then I hate it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 01/27/21 06:28 PM
I adore traditional Irish music and I would consider it folk music. It's all part of that village tradition of local musicians coming together to make music for their friends. I find it very soothing and relaxing to listen to. Their dance-tunes are great, too, of course :).
Posted By: Angie Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 01/27/21 09:10 PM
I always enjoyed Celtic music
Posted By: Ravina Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 06/22/21 05:20 AM
Celtic music is best described as a type of folk music with a distinctive music and lyrics. And, today Celtic music is played and heard not only in Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also on a worldwide stage. Celtic music has been traced back to the 1600's and is still a popular musical genre today.
Posted By: Angie Re: Celtic music is Folk music? - 06/22/21 11:59 AM
I thoroughly enjoy Celtic music.
© BellaOnline Forums